We have 61 guests online
14 Aug 2010 SLP Halesowen Town 0-0 Weymouth PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Saturday, 14th August 2010

Halesowen Town 0 Weymouth 0

Halesowen were just unable to find the breakthrough against Weymouth and had in-form goalkeeper Dean Coleman to thank as his late penalty save preserved the stalemate on the opening day of the season. Weymouth were mourning the loss of their long-serving President Bob Lucas just two days earlier and their Saturday started badly after traffic jams delayed their Grove arrival until 3.05pm, resulting in a late kick-off at 3.35pm.

Despite also starting life in Zamaretto Premier with a ten-point deduction, Weymouth’s woes were soon shrugged off as they went desperately close to opening the scoring in the 9th minute. Jules Emati-Emati latched onto a long ball to lob goalkeeper Coleman but the ball struck the underside of the bar with Simon Radcliffe’s follow-up cleared off the line by Halesowen captain Craig Connor.

New-look Halesowen gradually settled into their rhythm with goalkeeper Tom Manley collecting a 25-yard effort from Alex Johnson before beating away David Stone’s effort from Michael Nardiello’s 18th minute lay-off. Manley did well again to cut out Daryl Taylor’s 24th minute cross and a minute later Lee Osborne turned to fire just high.

Coleman made a splendid 26th minute save at the foot of his post to deny Samuel Charles after the striker was put clean through the Halesowen defence from a long ball. Just before the interval, Osborne fired just wide from another Nardiello lay-off as a thunderstorm gathered around the Grove.

Four minutes into the second period Yeltz full-back Michael Hayden skipped past two challenges, only to see his low, skidding drive turned around the post by Manley. But the second period was largely uneventful until Weymouth substitute Jamie McGuinness flashed a header just wide in the 66th minute with his first touch of the match and then drove just high a minute later.

The game’s main talking point arose after 74 minutes when Coleman saved the day by diving expertly to his left to keep out Charles’ penalty kick and substitute Warren Byerley failed to convert the rebound. But Byerley had netted seconds after Weymouth were awarded the penalty following a trip by Lee Ayres on Richard Groves and the visitors felt play should have been given the chance to continue before being pulled back.

Halesowen then finished with a late flourish and created an 85th minute goalmouth scramble with Stone blocked before Manley made a point-blank save from substitute Nathan Smith in front of goal.

After the game, Yeltz Assistant Manager Rob Elmes felt “It was two points dropped, but there were plenty of positives, especially in our first half display. We were a little slow starting the second half but naturally, with so many lads making their debuts, it takes a little time to gel. But I’m pleased we are off the mark for the new season.”

Weymouth Manager Ian Hutchison said “We created the best two chances and on another day both would have gone in. I’m a little disappointed that play wasn’t allowed to continue  after the penalty incident to allow us to score but we dominated the second half until the last ten minutes when we defended Halesowen’s pressure passionately. Bob Lucas would have been proud.”

Halesowen Town: Coleman; Connor, Hayden, D. Moore, Ayres, Amoo, Taylor, Johnson, Nardiello (Smith 62), Stone, Osborne (Izquierdo 71). Unused Subs: Jarrett, Fullwood, Gater.

Weymouth: Manley; Oldring, Dixon, Clarke, Gerring, Mawer, Magookin (McGuinness 65), Groves, Emati-Emati (Byerley 73), Charles, Radcliffe. Unused Subs: Halloran, Tribe, Litherland.

Referee: C. Dunn (Newcastle-under-Lyme)

Attendance: 373

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack