We have 60 guests online
25 Sept 2010 SLP Halesowen Town 0-3 Leamington PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Saturday, 25th September 2010

Halesowen Town 0 Leamington 3

A hat-trick from magnificent Matt Lewis condemned Halesowen to their fourth successive league defeat of a woeful September.  Prior to the game Halesowen unveiled their new kit, sponsored by Domino’s Pizza, but it was the home defence that ended up neatly sliced by a Leamington squad boasting six former Yeltz players and a former manager.

Early on, both Liam Daly and Matt Lewis headed just over the Halesowen bar. But the Brakes appeared to have given themselves an uphill task when front-runner Luke Corbett was shown a straight red card after only 16 minutes for striking out in a tussle near the corner flag. However, the ten men of Leamington went on to dominate and restricted the languid hosts to just a couple of speculative long range efforts from captain Craig Connor as Halesowen barely troubled the visiting defence all afternoon.

Dallas Moore was an early Yeltz casualty, to be replaced by Michael Hayden, who in turn was replaced at the interval by David Burtoft. As the game settled, Leamington goalkeeper Tony Breedon easily collected Stefan Moore’s 21st minute header and Lewis then struck a 23rd minute free-kick straight at home goalkeeper Dean Coleman. At the other end Connor struck a speculative 25-yard drive over the bar.

Leamington’s Lewis thought he’d given the visitors a simple 34th minute lead when he and dispossessed Courtney Sowe with the help of Marcus Jackson, but the effort was ruled out by the referee who struggled to maintain control at times during the first period.

But former Yeltz striker LEWIS went one better to give Leamington a 40th minute lead when he intercepted a weak back header from Lee Ayres and looped a header into the net over goalkeeper Coleman. A minute later Lewis then saw his fine 25-yard drive tipped around the post by Coleman and from the resulting corner Coleman also saved Richard Batchelor’s header.

On-fire LEWIS doubled Leamington’s lead with a stinging drive from the edge of the area after latching onto a long ball a minute before the break.

Ragged Halesowen were unable to respond in the second period as the Brakes coasted to victory and Lewis missed a golden chance to increase the lead a minute into the second period by heading onto the roof of the net. James Husband then struck the side-netting from Batchelor’s 70th minute cross. In between, a couple of further efforts from Connor landed over the bar.

LEWIS finally completed his excellent hat-trick by tucking away a 71st minute penalty beyond Coleman’s dive after Ayres compounded his own miserable afternoon by tripping Husband in the penalty area. Late on, Batchelor side-stepped two defenders to fire just over the bar and Coleman took out a dangerous cross from substitute Craig Wilding. 

Halesowen substitutes David Burtoft and Tony Thorpe were blocked in front of goal with three minutes remaining but could not prevent a happy return to The Grove for ex-Yeltz boss Paul Holleran as his Leamington side leapfrogged well-beaten Halesowen in the league table.

Halesowen Town: Coleman; D. Moore (Hayden 13 (Burtoft HT)), Sowe (Thorpe 54), Ayres, Godwin, Manchester, Taylor, Bruce, S. Moore, Connor (c), Gater. Unused Subs: Izquierdo, Fullwood.

Leamington: Breedon; Lycett, Cowley, Downes (c), Hood, Daly, Jackson, Husband (Faulds 84), Lewis (Wilding 79), Corbett, Batchelor (Tuohy 90). Unused Subs: Williams, Murphy.

Referee: D. Plowright (Clipstone, Notts.)

Attendance: 376

Booked: Moore (52), Hood (52)

Sent Off: Corbett (16)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack