We have 44 guests online
12 Oct 2010 BSC1R Coleshill Town 3-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Birmingham Senior Cup 1st Round – Tuesday, 12th October 2010

Coleshill Town 3 Halesowen Town 1

Halesowen’s involvement in the Birmingham Senior Cup was ended at the first hurdle by Coleshill of the Midland Alliance at Pack Meadow.  Michael McGrath made his Yeltz debut, with John Poston and Simon Flower both making the step up from the reserves to take their place on the substitute’s bench. Coleshill’s leading goalscorer and star striker Danny Carter, currently targeted by Halesowen, was left out of the home line-up.

McGrath made a good 5th minute run to force a corner and home goalkeeper Craig Johnson dived at the feet of Alex Roofe, playing as a striker, in the 12th minute as the visitors appeared to enjoy a welcome distraction from league troubles.

But both sides were equally matched in the first half as Coleshill recovered from their 6-0 FA Cup defeat at Nuneaton the previous Saturday. Liam Givans struck a free-kick at the Halesowen defensive wall after Adam Jarrett brought down Chris Gumery on the edge of the area and Loyiso Recci crossed along the face of goal after 15 minutes. For Halesowen, James Williams hooked just wide as McGrath made a fine 23rd minute run down the left and a low raking drive from Ruben Izquierdo was tipped around the post by goalkeeper Johnson in the 32nd minute.

As half-time approached, Gumery laid the ball off for Matthew Robinson but the Yeltz defence grouped well to block. However, ROBINSON then gave the hosts the lead by tapping home after Gumery chased a long ball down the right wing and rolled the ball across goal just a minute before half-time.

Halesowen’s fortunes appeared to have finally changed for the better when ROOFE drove home a 50th minute equaliser, following a spell of pressure. Conor Gater crossed from the left in the 52nd minute and Izquierdo’s low shot was gathered by Johnson seconds later. McGrath then hit wide from Izquierdo’s cross after an hour.

But Coleshill regrouped to end the game strongly and finish off Halesowen. Robinson headed a long free-kick at Coleman in the 61st minute and Gumery chased a through ball, only to poke at Coleman three minutes later. Steve Hakner’s shot from a wide angle was helped out for a corner by Coleman in the 66th minute and Hakner then blasted wide five minutes later after the ball was pulled back from the right.

The Colemen beat Coleman with two late goals. Luke EDWARDS regained the lead by heading home a rebound after Coleman could only parry Recci’s drive in the 75th minute. Dean BAKER then made it a convincing 3-1 by smashing home a loose ball in the final minute after substitute Neil Kitching’s shot ricocheted off Coleman.

Coleshill Town: Johnson; Powis, Hakner (Kitching 77), Lanns (c), Recci, Edwards, Dineen, Givans, Baker, Robinson (Fitzharris 87), Gumery (Ramsay 71).

Halesowen Town: Coleman; Connor, Jarrett (Burtoft HT), Manchester (c), Sowe (Yousif 63), McGrath, Izquierdo, Bruce, Roofe (Youngs 81), Williams, Gater. Unused Subs: Poston, Flower.

Referee: M. Weaver (Smethwick)

Attendance: 37

Booked: McGrath (74)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack