We have 40 guests online
14 Dec 2010 SLP Salisbury City 7-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Tuesday, 14th December 2010

Salisbury City 7 Halesowen Town 1

Title-chasing Salisbury smashed seven goals to leave Halesowen humiliated in a one-sided affair at the Raymond McEnhill Stadium.  The kick-off was delayed due to the late arrival of the match officials, but once underway the hosts crafted no less than 42 attempts on goal with their fine, flowing football making it a torrid ninety minutes for the visitors.

The Whites made a confident start and took the lead after just four minutes when danger-man Kayne McLAGGON played a neat one-two with Adam Kelly before finishing well after bursting into the penalty area. Ben Adelsbury’s 12th minute deflected shot also hit the net but was ruled offside. Chris Giles then headed just wide from Darrell Clarke’s chipped free-kick and McLaggon struck a good chance just high after goalkeeper Nick Bussey palmed away a 20th minute corner. With the Yeltz struggling, another Clarke corner soon followed but defender Brian Dutton planted a free header wide. In another incisive move, Kelly struck the post midway through the first half after being supplied down the right by provider Clarke.

Salisbury’s dominance deserved more and it was no surprise when McLAGGON grabbed his second goal to increase the home side’s lead in the 22nd minute after playing a lovely interchange of passes with his player manager Clarke before advancing into the area to convert. Unsurprisingly, a third goal followed in the 31st minute when McLaggon’s deflected shot allowed Jake Reid to stab the ball against the crossbar and GILES was on hand to head into an empty net from close range.

With Halesowen unable to provide an answer to Salisbury’s neat passing play, Clarke struck a 30-yard drive over the bar; Giles headed a corner just wide and Bussey made two fine saves to deny McLaggon his hat-trick as Salisbury threatened to run up a cricket score in one-way traffic just ahead of the interval.

Busy Bussey had a fine game and produced a string of fine saves but Salisbury’s relentless pressure saw them notch another four goals after the break. After 52 minutes in-form Bussey denied half-time substitute Charlie Knight.

However, Salisbury received a wake-up call as Halesowen snatched a 59th minute consolation goal when a rare attack led to a long free-kick reaching Ruben IZQUIERDO at the far post and he converted his first goal of the season.

Normal service was resumed when REID made it 4-1 to restore the three goal advantage by outpacing the visiting defence to smash home in the 61st minute. Knight then struck the post and Reid put a 65th minute rebound wide after home substitute Dan Fitchett was put clear, only for Bussey to come to the rescue again.

But even Bussey could not prevent Reid from squaring the ball for player-manager CLARKE to make it 5-1 by side-footing home after 67 minutes. The overworked Halesowen defence then made a further two goal-line clearances when both Reid and Fitchett rounded goalkeeper Bussey.

FITCHETT finally found the net to claim Salisbury’s sixth goal after beating Bussey to the ball to touch home in the 81st minute. With only two substitutes named, reserve goalkeeper Simon Flower was forced to play out the last few minutes in the Halesowen outfield, after initially being rejected by the referee for wearing incorrectly coloured socks. A miserable Yeltz evening was finally ended when Salisbury completed their 7-1 rout through KELLY’s left foot shot in the final minute.

Salisbury City: Smith; Turley, Casey, Adelsbury (Knight 45), Dutton, Giles, Kelly, Clarke, McLaggon, Reid (Joyce 73), Haynes (Fitchett 62). Unused Subs: Neish, Brett.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Roofe, Jarrett, Sowe, Moore (Flower (GK) 87), Chilton, Thorpe (Yousif 67), Bruce, Osborne, Nisbett, Izquierdo. Unused Subs: None.

Referee:  A. Slaughter (Brighton)

Attendance: 471

Booked: Nisbett (20), Chilton (29)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack