We have 116 guests online
03 Jan 2011 SLP Halesowen Town 0-3 Stourbridge PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Monday, 3rd January 2011

Halesowen Town 0 Stourbridge 3

Stourbridge’s comfortable victory ended their four match sequence of defeats against Halesowen and maintained their play off push in front of a bumper best-of-the-season Bank Holiday crowd of 835.

In only the fourth game for the Yeltz in over ten weeks, home fans were disappointed to learn that Lee Osborne had departed to Tipton Town and goalkeeper Nick Bussey had returned to Kettering. As a result, Simon Flower took over in goal and further debuts were handed out to local defender Mark Smith, Keenan Meakin-Richards and front-runner Rory Curtis.

The Glassboys featured first with Leon Broadhurst’s 3rd minute header palmed away by debutant goalkeeper Simon Flower at the second attempt. Halesowen replied a minute later with Anthony Bruce planting a free header over the bar from Lee Chilton’s corner and Ruben Izquierdo cut in from the right in the 11th minute, only to see his shot well saved by goalkeeper Lewis Solly. However, from that point on, the visitors dominated to deservedly build a two goal lead at the interval.

Sam Rock laid the ball off for Ryan Mahon to screw just wide in the 13th minute and goalkeeper Flower dived smartly to save at Ryan Rowe’s feet after a neat interchange of passes two minutes later. Lindon Dovey hit wide in the 19th minute and Ben Billingham unluckily struck the top of the crossbar from twenty yards. The visitors then forced three consecutive corners from Drew Canavan in the 23rd minute after Rock’s header was touched over the bar in another Flower save.

Stourbridge finally took the lead after remarkably being awarded two penalties within three minutes. Mark Smith hauled down Rowe in the 33rd minute but visiting captain Ben Billingham missed a golden chance by stroking his weak penalty kick wide of Flower’s left hand post. But BILLINGHAM redeemed himself by stepping up to drill home another 36th minute penalty down the centre of goal, after Chris Godwin brought down Rock. Four minutes before the interval, a fierce near post shot from Rowe was then palmed away for another corner by busy Flower.

BILLINGHAM increased Stourbridge’s lead in the third minute of first-half injury time when Dovey slipped the ball through for the Glassboys’ captain to round Flower and slot home after fullback Gareth Davies failed to intervene.

Halesowen failed to find an answer in a disappointing second half of few chances with Gary Hackett’s men happy to hold their lead and the home side lacking any penetration. The visitors continued to create the better chances with Rock’s 52nd minute effort drifting just wide before Dovey flashed a shot just wide five minutes later.

Visiting goalkeeper Solly almost carried a high ball over his own line after an hour and lively Ruben Izquierdo did well to skip past several players to drive just wide in the 63rd minute. However, Halesowen never looked likely to retrieve their deficit and it was no surprise when Stourbridge sealed their long-awaited victory in the 75th minute when substitute David PLINSTON side-footed home a deflected left-wing cross from Billingham in front of goal.

With Stourbridge coasting home to victory, Billingham went close to adding a fourth goal when he was left free in the penalty area to lash a volley against the crossbar in the 79th minute. In the final minute, the well-beaten Yeltz almost claimed a consolation goal but Paul Lloyd was on hand to block on the line following Izquierdo’s right wing shot.

Halesowen Town: Flower; Roofe (Robinson 24), Davies, M. Smith (Sowe 81), Godwin, Meakin-Richards (Yousif 83), Izquierdo, Bruce, Curtis, Nisbett, Chilton. Unused Sub: Jarrett.

Stourbridge: Solly; Rock, Lloyd, McCone, Canavan (Plinston 62), Bennett, Dovey (Dyson 69), Broadhurst, Rowe, Billingham, Mahon (S. Smith 80). Unused Subs: Jones, Ford.

Referee: S. Plane (Pershore)

Attendance: 835

Booked: Davies, McCone, Godwin

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack