We have 37 guests online
08 Feb 2011 WSCSF Halesowen Town 1-2 Worcester City PDF Print E-mail

Worcestershire Senior Cup Semi-Final – Tuesday, 8th February 2011

Halesowen Town 1 Worcester City 2

Halesowen’s more encouraging display earned a half-time lead before eventually being reversed by a second-half comeback from a strong Worcester line-up, writes David Johnson.

Early on, home captain Michael McGrath lost out to former Yeltz player Mark Danks but his resulting cross flew across goal. Home goalkeeper Mark Fullwood, returning from a long injury, then made a good save from Marc McGregor in the 8th minute.

The Blue Square North visitors, having already beaten Kidderminster Harriers in the quarter-final, enjoyed most of the possession in the first period but failed to create any real danger. A 22nd minute corner was scrambled clear by the Halesowen defence after Danks’ free-kick was deflected behind goal and McGregor then nodded a 36th minute corner wide. Late in the half, Halesowen earned their first corner after Justin Nisbett’s 43rd minute shot was deflected past the post.

The Yeltz took a shock lead in first half injury time with a 25-yard shot from substitute Emmanuel IBHADON taking a bounce to nestle into the net after deceiving former Yeltz goalkeeper Dean Coleman. Rory Curtis missed a great opportunity to double the lead at the start of the second half but Coleman made a fine blocking save with Curtis clear on goal.

City took advantage to equalise in the 53rd minute when Simon Richman crossed from the right for DANKS to clip home from close range. But the hosts refused to buckle and forced two corners midway through the second half after a 20-yard free-kick from McGrath struck the Worcester defence. Fullwood then did well to beat the ball away from Danks in the 71st minute at the other end.

Kevin O’CONNOR grabbed Worcester’s winner by heading home substitute Danny Glover’s right-wing cross in the 73rd minute. With ten minutes remaining, O’Connor’s looping shot was easily collected by Fullwood.

Nisbett’s back header fell just over the Worcester bar after he latched onto a looping free-kick from McGrath in the 81st minute but it was the visitors who went close again in the final minute when Glover’s shot struck the post and O’Connor just failed to convert the rebound.

Halesowen Town: Fullwood; Bruce, Robinson (Yousif 64), Davies, Adams, McGrath (c), Kyeremeh, Wills (Curtis 30), Nisbett, Meakin-Richards, Hinds (Ibhadon 39). Unused Subs: Walters, Flower (GK).

Worcester City: Coleman; T. Evans (K. Evans 64), Ward, Thorley, Hurren, Clarke (c), Richman (Emery 78), O’Connor, McGregor (Glover 70), Danks, Birley. Unused Subs: Mace, Birch.

Referee: R. Lovegrove MBE (Redditch)

Attendance: 201

Booked: Bruce (19), Danks (75), Yousif (78)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack