We have 57 guests online
08 Mar 2011 SLP Halesowen Town 1-2 Chippenham Town PDF Print E-mail
Zamaretto League Premier Division – Tuesday, 8th March 2011

Halesowen Town 1 Chippenham Town 2

Halesowen were denied much-needed points after a largely unconvincing Chippenham took advantage of Jemiah Richards’ sending off to hit two late goals, writes David Johnson.

After a slow start to the evening, Alan Griffin headed the ball onto Sam Allison but his fierce 17th minute shot was beaten away by debut home goalkeeper Louis Connor at his near post. Halesowen’s Justin Nisbett looked lively in the first period and his 19th minute cross was turned behind for a corner by Nathan Rudge with the resulting corner then cleared from under the crossbar.

The Yeltz took a surprise 21st minute lead when Michael McGrath’s corner was helped on by Chris Godwin and Andre HINDS provided the final touch for his first Halesowen goal. Nisbett caused further danger with a 29th minute cross and then skipped several challenges only to see his final weak shot collected by visiting goalkeeper Chris Snoddy. But with the Yeltz enjoying their spell on top, Snoddy failed to claim McGrath’s 34th minute free-kick and relied on his defence to eventually clear for a corner.

Towards the end of a disappointing first half for the visitors, Allison crossed for Griffin to nod just wide in the 36th minute but it was Halesowen who ended an encouraging half with towering Jemiah Richards heading just wide.

Chippenham improved after the interval and in the 55th minute Scott Lye flicked the ball with a back-heel to James Martin but goalkeeper Connor collected. After Luke Adams’ final warning from the referee for fouling Martin, Greg Tindle fired a long range half-volley just wide and Griffin’s effort on the turn rolled just past the post for a corner with an hour on the clock.

Meetings between the two teams have a long history of incidents and the game exploded into life in the 64th minute with Peter Folkes’ late foul on Lye producing a yellow-card and centre-forward Richards was shown a straight red-card for retaliation in the ensuing melee.

Lewis Powell’s wide angle shot was cleared off the line but Chippenham soon equalised against Halesowen’s ten-men when Griffin headed on James Guthrie’s corner for POWELL to nod home from close range in the 69th minute. Powell then curled a 25-yard shot just over the bar.

The Bluebirds struck a 76th minute winner when Luke GULLICK glanced home a header from Guthrie’s right-wing corner. However, Chippenham were then also reduced to ten men when Tindle received a straight red card for his challenge on substitute Mark Smith, who only arrived on the pitch a couple of minutes earlier.

The visitors saw out the game to claim all three points although a last minute free-kick from McGrath was saved by Snoddy and the visiting goalkeeper then escaped in injury time after spilling another McGrath free-kick.

Halesowen Town: Connor; Adams (M. Smith 76), Davies, Godwin, Skidmore, McGrath, Curtis (Meakin-Richards 81), Folkes, Richards, Nisbett, Hinds. Unused Subs: Mills, Ibhadon, Flower.

Chippenham Town: Snoddy; Martin (O’Hara 76), Guthrie (L. Smith 81), Williams (c), Tindle, Rudge, Lye, Gullick, Powell, Griffin, Allison. Unused Sub: Harvey.

Referee: G. Law (Leicester)

Attendance: 102

Booked: Adams (52), Folkes (64), O’Hara (88)

Sent Off: Richards (64), Tindle (76)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack