We have 51 guests online
22 Mar 2011 SLP Hednesford Town 4-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail
Zamaretto League Premier Division – Tuesday, 22nd March 2011
Hednesford Town 4 Halesowen Town 2
Halesowen’s fine fightback was eventually thwarted by two late goals from high-flying Hednesford in an exciting contest at Keys Park, writes David Johnson.
Title dark-horses Hednesford took a two-goal lead within fifteen minutes but were given an almighty scare as brave Halesowen levelled at 2-2 before the relieved Pitmen eventually extended their impressive league sequence to twelve wins in their last thirteen games.
With the hosts starting confidently, Cheyenne Dunkley headed a 2nd minute corner just over the bar. A vital touch from captain Liam FRANCIS put the home side ahead in the 4th minute after Darren Campion drove a fierce free-kick towards goal from 25-yards out. Kyle Haynes then volleyed wide from an 8th minute corner and Campion volleyed over the bar five minutes later.
CAMPION doubled the lead by sweeping the ball home with a low 20-yard drive from the left as the early signs looked ominous for Halesowen. The visitors won their first corner after 18 minutes before Hednesford’s Kyle Patterson headed a Chris Clements corner against the bar after half an hour.
But Halesowen weathered the early storm and came back strongly into the game with a long 33rd minute clearance falling for Rory Curtis to strike over the bar. Another attempt from Curtis just a minute later was collected by home goalkeeper Danny Crane.
The Yeltz then reduced the arrears three minutes before half-time when Adam Robinson whipped in a cross from the left wing and makeshift centre-forward Mark SMITH rose to place a magnificent close range header beyond goalkeeper Crane.
Halesowen’s recovery continued after the interval when Smith made a superb turn and cross but Decio Gomes cleared. However, Chris GODWIN caught out the home defence again from Keenan Meakin-Richards’ resulting corner to head home Halesowen’s 50th minute equaliser with shocked Hednesford starting to look extremely jittery.
In-form Halesowen goalkeeper Louis Connor did well to grab Campion’s 52nd minute corner and Nick Wellecomme missed a good chance when clear in the 58th minute with his first attempt hitting Connor before rebounding off Wellecomme again to roll past the post. With home frustration growing, Hednesford had a huge let-off in the 66th minute when Gareth Davies turned superbly only to see his drive unluckily clip the crossbar.
But the Pitmen were reprieved from their predicament with a penalty award when Connor made an excellent reflex save to keep out former Halesowen skipper Jay Denny’s header in the 68th minute but as the ball broke, Adam Robinson was judged to have brought down Dunkley on the right of the penalty area. Despite Connor’s goal-line acrobatics, substitute Marvin ROBINSON stroked home the penalty just out of Connor’s reach to regain relieved Hednesford’s lead at 3-2 in the 70th minute.
Hednesford were then reduced to ten-men when a terrible defensive mix-up between Gomes and Francis allowed Smith a free run on goal only to be felled by Gomes just inches outside of the penalty area. Former Yeltz defender Gomes inevitably received his marching orders but Halesowen received scant reward as Anthony Bruce could only hit the free-kick over the bar.
Ten-man Hednesford made it 4-2 in the 86th minute when CAMPION converted his second goal of the evening from Haynes’ cross, although the goal was only confirmed after a consultation between the referee and his assistant.
Hednesford Town: Danny Crane; Decio Gomes, Darren Campion, Cheyenne Dunkley, Liam Francis (c), Jay Denny, Kyle Haynes, Kyle Patterson (Marvin Robinson 59), Nick Wellecomme (Ben Bailey 82), Chris Clements, James Ellison (Ross Davidson 59). Unused Subs: Alex Melbourne, Louis Keenan.
Halesowen Town: Louis Connor; Luke Adams, Adam Robinson, Chris Godwin, Josh Skidmore, Gareth Davies, Rory Curtis, Peter Folkes (c), Mark Smith, Keenan Meakin-Richards (Jem Mills 83), Anthony Bruce. Unused Sub: Adam Jarrett, Scott Richards, Flavien Chambaud, Simon Flower.
Referee: M. Howes
Attendance: 423
Booked: Smith (69), Robinson (69), Haynes (78)
Sent Off: Gomes (81)
Joomla Templates by Joomlashack