We have 113 guests online
26 Mar 2011 SLP Halesowen Town 0-3 Truro City PDF Print E-mail
Zamaretto League Premier Division – Saturday, 26th March 2011
Halesowen Town 0 Truro City 3
Halesowen were pushed back to the bottom of the table after title-chasing Truro completed a professional performance to take the points by a three-goal margin, writes David Johnson.  The Yeltz welcomed back Anthony Bruce and Michael McGrath but Truro’s game went exactly to plan after their long trip and the hosts never really looked likely to gain revenge for the 6-0 defeat in Cornwall earlier in the season.
Home goalkeeper Louis Connor kept out a 3rd minute shot from Marcus Martin with captain Peter Folkes clearing his lines. Connor then made a good save low down to hold onto Dan Smith’s 10th minute drive.
After a tentative start on the bone dry playing surface, Halesowen started to compete well with Bruce’s cross from the left just evading centre forward Mark Smith and Rory Curtis advanced down the right but saw his 23rd minute shot gathered by Truro goalkeeper Martin Rice.
But the visitors ultimately had the edge on quality and the White Tigers took a 31st minute lead when Les AFFUL, the smallest player on the pitch, converted a simple free header in the six-yard box from Scott Walker’s right-wing, near-post corner.
The Yeltz enjoyed a good spell late in the first half and Gareth Davies planted a 39th minute lob over the bar after trying to catch out goalkeeper Rice who had raced yards out of his penalty area. Curtis then played a neat ball in for Keenan Meakin-Richards but his shot deflected agonisingly wide of the far post as Halesowen forced three consecutive corners. Goalkeeper Rice dropped the second corner and led to Halesowen’s best chance of the half in the 42nd minute when Barry Hayles cleared Folkes’ header off the line.
Truro came quickly out of the traps after the interval and Connor produced a fine blocking save with his legs after handful Afful broke free in the 46th minute. Connor then cut out a 49th minute low cross from Dan Smith and Afful curled wide three minutes later. Halesowen forced their first corner of the second period in the 55th minute when Barry McConnell turned the ball behind goal off the head of Folkes and Meakin-Richards then whipped in a dangerous second corner.
Veteran Andrew TAYLOR doubled Truro’s lead in the 59th minute when he stole a march on the home defence and latched onto a long ball to slot home a great finish under pressure beyond Connor. Mark Smith blazed high and wide over the Truro bar when in space on the edge of the area after 64 minutes and at the other end Connor pawed the ball away under his crossbar after giant Arran Pugh headed down off the ground.
The White Tigers added a third goal in the 73rd minute when former league striker and vastly experienced Hayles switched play with a clever reverse pass for full-back McCONNELL to slide home from the right in similar fashion to the second goal.
The third goal killed the game and the final few minutes were generally flat with Truro more than content with their afternoon’s work and Halesowen well beaten. However, the Yeltz still crafted their best chance of the second period with ten minutes remaining when Bruce glanced a header wide from close range under pressure and substitute Kevin Moncheu then turned to fire over the bar in the 81st minute.
Despite the opposing forces of the England game being shown live at 3pm and the appeal for the missing Yeltz fans to turn out for the final three home games, the attendance was almost exactly same as previous home match against Swindon.
Halesowen Town: Connor; L. Adams, Robinson (McGrath 65), Godwin, Skidmore, Meakin-Richards (Moncheu 74), Davies, Folkes (c), M. Smith (Mills 74), Curtis, Bruce. Unused Subs: Jarrett, Richards.
Truro City: Rice; McConnell, Walker, Pugh, S. Adams, Ash (c), Taylor, Martin (Clay 83), Afful (Yetton 79), Hayles, D. Smith (Broad 79). Unused Subs: Jeannin, Brooks.
Referee: A. Sheffield (Walsall)
Attendance: 207
Joomla Templates by Joomlashack