We have 72 guests online
02 Apr 2011 SLP Cambridge City 7-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail
Zamaretto League Premier Division – Saturday, 2nd April 2011
Cambridge City 7 Halesowen Town 1
Halesowen were taught another harsh lesson with Craig Hammond’s first-half hat-trick keeping Cambridge’s championship chase on course in the University City, writes David Johnson.
Mark Smith was named as captain after the departure of Michael McGrath but Halesowen’s afternoon got off to a bad start when Andre Hinds soon limped out of the game after his 9th minute shot drifted wide in his first game back from injury.
Goalkeeper Louis Connor made a nervy start but punched clear in the 14th minute after Joey Abbs and Neil Midgley combined well. The Lilywhites took the lead in the 17th minute when Connor’s good intentions in stretching to save a corner only gifted the ball for Robbie Nightingale to cross from the left for HAMMOND to head into an empty net. Nightingale’s 19th minute weak effort was then collected by Connor and the visiting goalkeeper parried away another Nightingale shot three minutes later.
Cambridge doubled their lead when HAMMOND easily converted a 24th minute penalty after Neil Midgley was bundled over by Halesowen full-back Adam Robinson.
The visitors eventually settled with a cross from Rory Curtis just evading Jem Mills and Gareth Davies was blocked in front of goal after half an hour. Skipper Smith then nodded just wide a minute later.
The Yeltz were given hope when MILLS pulled a goal back when he turned and advanced down the centre before thumping home a superb 20-yard drive beyond goalkeeper Zac Barrett in the 42nd minute. But Hammond’s hat-trick was completed seconds before the interval and restored the two-goal margin when a corner from Abbs was headed on by Lee Chaffey and HAMMOND reacted quickly to head into the roof of the net from close range.
At the start of the second period Barrett saved a back-flick from Josh Skidmore after Smith headed on. But comfortable Cambridge added a further four second-half goals to improve their goal difference and push ailing Halesowen’s goals-against tally perilously close to the 100-mark.
HAMMOND flicked home his fourth goal of the game from close range after meeting James Krause’s 48th minute cross. ABBS then made it 5-1 with a fine curling shot from the edge of the penalty area in the 56th minute and substitute David KOLODYNSKI hit a sixth in the 66th minute by latching onto a long ball and calmly slotting past Connor. Kolodynski then struck well wide in the 79th minute after the ball was played in by fellow substitute John Kennedy and Koldynski drove just wide of the post again a minute later.
ABBS completed the 7-1 thrashing in the 87th minute by shrugging off several challenges in the penalty area to tuck the ball beyond Connor. In the final minute, Mills drove a 25-yard free-kick just wide for Halesowen.
Cambridge City: Zac Barrett; Liam Nicell, James Krause, Dave Theobald (Craig Hughes 60), Lee Chaffey, Adrian Cambridge (c) (John Kennedy 60), Tony Burke, Robbie Nightingale, Craig Hammond (David Kolodynski 60), Neil Midgley, Joey Abbs. Unused Subs: Luke Robins, Jordan Lambert.
Halesowen Town: Louis Connor; Luke Adams, Adam Robinson, Chris Godwin, Josh Skidmore (Emmanuel Ibhadon 75), Gareth Davies, Rory Curtis, Keenan Meakin-Richards, Jem Mills, Mark Smith (c), Andre Hinds (Adam Jarrett 9 (Andrew Westwood 75)). Unused Sub: Simon Flower.
Referee: J. Hillier (New Barnet)
Attendance: 345
Booked: Meakin-Richards (27), Nicell (68)
Joomla Templates by Joomlashack