We have 75 guests online
09 Apr 2011 SLP Halesowen 0-3 Oxford Ciy PDF Print E-mail
Zamaretto League Premier Division – Saturday, 9th April 2011
Halesowen Town 0 Oxford City 3
Halesowen were finally doomed to inevitable relegation by three goals at the start of the second-half in a low-key encounter against mid-table but improving Oxford City, writes David Johnson.  The game was preceded by a one-minute silence in memory of Fred Waldron, a long time steward and supporter of the Yeltz. Ruben Izquierdo was also present at ground to say his goodbyes to the club, after joining Charlton, in front of a disappointing attendance of just 167 in the Spring sunshine.
Halesowen shaded the balance of play before the interval although chances were few and far between in the first half and remained at a premium all afternoon.
An overhead kick from Andrew Westwood flew over the Oxford bar in the 4th minute and goalkeeper Joe White took the ball off the toe of Kevin Moncheu two minutes later. Mark Smith played a delicate chip through to Moncheu in front of goal in the 22nd minute but the visiting defence cleared before Oxford won the first corner of the game in the 23rd minute. Adam Robinson’s 28th minute shot was then deflected into the path of Moncheu, but this time James Clarke made a last ditch clearance.
Rory Curtis went closer still after half-an-hour but his shot from the left was cleared and after 42 minutes a corner from Westwood was headed on by Josh Skidmore to Mark Smith, but the ball landed on top of the net. At the end of a first half that failed to get pulses racing, goalkeeper Louis Connor easily collected a curling free-kick from Marvin Martin.
Oxford turned up the heat after the break and won the game with three goals early in the second half. With just 20 seconds on the second-half clock, prolific Felipe BARCELOS worked free on the right, turned the last defender and moved the ball from right to left foot before firing home low into the net to give the visitors the lead.
Barcelos was instrumental again when he exchanged passes for Jerome ANDERSON to double the lead with a left-footed drive beyond Connor in the 63rd minute. Just two minutes later BARCELOS made it a comfortable 3-0 after the ball broke to him on the edge of the area and he drilled home into the bottom corner. The third goal gave the Yeltz the unwanted statistic of conceding 100 league goals this season.
Oxford goalkeeper White remained an untroubled spectator during the second half in which the Yeltz failed to create a chance and it was Oxford who went closest again in the 78th minute when Robinson cleared Martin’s dangerous left-wing cross.
Halesowen Town: Connor; Roofe, Robinson, Adams, Skidmore (Chambaud 75), Davies, Curtis, Bruce, Smith (c), Moncheu (Meakin-Richards 66), Westwood. Unused Subs: Jarrett, Richards, Flower.
Oxford City: White; Lyon, Blossom, Anderson (Organ 76), Ballard (Peirson 29), Savage, Clarke, Malone (c), Barcelos, Steele, Martin. Unused Subs: Fold, Davis.
Referee: D. Meeson (Newcastle-under-Lyme)
Attendance: 167
Joomla Templates by Joomlashack