We have 47 guests online
13 Aug 2011 SLSW Paulton Rovers 1-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South and West – Saturday, 13th August 2011

Paulton Rovers 1 Halesowen Town 1

Halesowen’s early lead was pegged back by a late equaliser in a tough introduction to life in Division One South and West.

The Yeltz made a dream start to take a 6th minute lead when Lee CHILTON’s direct free-kick beat Paulton’s defensive wall to bounce up into the net after Justin Nisbett was fouled on the edge of the penalty area. Three minutes later Ben Osman curled a free-kick over the Halesowen bar from a similar position. With Paulton missing Ollie Price, Steve Bridges and Adam Mahdi through suspension, Osman led the line and drove wide after 25 minutes.

Midway through the first half a good move set Nisbett free on the left but his attempted cross to Nathan Jackson was cut out. With the game entering a niggly phase, Andrew Westwood’s frustration led to the first of five yellow cards for Halesowen. Just before the interval Craig Loxton’s drive was diverted past Halesowen’s post and Scot Brice headed Ben Cleverley’s corner over the bar.

Halesowen went close directly from the second-half kick-off with a long range effort but then lost Nisbett through injury and subsequently adopted a revised formation with midfielder Marlon Walters replacing the striker. Brice came forward again to meet Dan Cleverley’s 67th minute corner but the Yeltz defence cleared his header off the line.

Jackson almost snatched a second goal for the visitors when he capitalised on a sliced clearance from goalkeeper Kyle Phillips with a 20 yard volley, only to see the ball unluckily bounce up to strike the crossbar.

But Paulton’s pressure gradually built with Halesowen dropping ever deeper in the final twenty minutes. Goalkeeper Paul Evans gratefully grabbed a 70th minute corner as Paulton’s strikers obstructed each other and Loxton’s fierce drive from a wide angle was turned over the bar three minutes later. Westwood fired in a long range effort at Phillips in an increasingly rare Halesowen attempt after 75 minutes. Home substitute Jamie Taylor then somehow scooped the ball over the bar from just two yards out after Dan Cleverley’s 80th minute free-kick went straight through the penalty area.

Halesowen failed to maintain the required discipline to preserve their slender lead and the hosts inevitably equalised in the 84th minute when Loxton played the ball for substitute TAYLOR to place the ball beyond Evans from 15 yards. Evans then did well to collect Brice’s 89th minute header. In stoppage time Halesowen’s Westwood was sent off for his second bookable offence.

Paulton Rovers: Phillips; Tovey (Gwinnet 42), Allward, Dunn, Mapstone, Brice, Lewis (Lane 63), Loxton, Osman (Taylor 67), D. Cleverley (c), B. Cleverley. Unused Subs: Billing, Jeffries.

Halesowen Town: Evans; Lescott, Caines, Folkes, Smith, Bruce, Westwood, Saunders (c), Jackson, Nisbett (Walters 49), Chilton. Unused Subs: Kelly, Wills, Roofe, Mason.

Referee: Anton Bevis

Attendance: 220

Booked: Westwood (26), Bruce (38), Osman (40), Jackson (59), Walters (79), Gwinnet (89), Loxton (90)

Sent Off: Westwood (90)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack