We have 35 guests online
27 Aug 2011 SLSW Mangotsfield United 2-3 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South and West – Saturday, 27th August 2011

Mangotsfield United 2 Halesowen Town 3

Unbeaten Halesowen moved into second place in the table after an impressive win at much-fancied Mangotsfield in a fixture that pitted Halesowen manager Shaun Cunnington against a former Wrexham team-mate from the 80s Phil Bater – now manager at Mangotsfield.


The Yeltz went hunting for goals from the off with an attacking line-up leading to an open game with plenty of chances. In early exchanges Naveed Arshad hit a speculative drive wide and Dean Griffiths struck over the Halesowen bar. Lee Chilton’s 8th minute shot then slipped through the fingers of home goalkeeper Chris Humphries for the first corner of the game in blustery conditions. After 15 minutes Justin Nisbett burst through by embarking on a run from his own half and exchanged passes with Arshad before shooting just wide. Arshad then laid the ball off for Chilton to fire just over the bar seconds later.

Halesowen’s pressure bore fruit in the 16th minute when Nisbett’s cross from the right found Anthony BRUCE free to loop a header home beyond Humphries and hand the visitors the lead. With the Mangos looking for an instant response, Mitchell Page headed over the bar from a Matt Groves cross and Gary Colbourne headed a Groves corner down onto the ground allowing Yeltz goalkeeper Paul Evans to touch the ball away over the bar. A mix-up in the home defence then left Bruce to set up Chilton but his effort was turned away for a corner by Humphries.

The hosts levelled in the 28th minute when Lee MARSHALL converted with a bullet header from Tom Parrinello’s left-wing cross. Dean Griffiths then sidestepped defender Aaron Lescott to blast over the Halesowen bar.

Home goalkeeper Humphries came away the worse for wear after a challenge with Yeltz centre-forward Nathan Jackson and struggled on with his leg injury for the rest of the game, although injured Humphries did well to collect a 40th minute corner from Gavin Saunders.

SAUNDERS restored Halesowen’s lead in the 41st minute by collecting a loose ball and unleashing a tremendous 20 yard drive that pinged into the net beyond helpless Humphries following good work on the right by Arshad. Seconds before the interval Humphries just managed to save from Chilton as the visitors continued to pile forward.

ARSHAD put Halesowen 3-1 ahead in the 55th minute by beating hobbling Humphries to latch onto a fine long ball forward from Chilton and tapping into an empty net.

But Mangotsfield made Halesowen sweat in the final stages by pulling another goal back just four minutes later when Geraint BATER smashed home a 30-yard screamer just under Evans’ crossbar. Halesowen survived further late pressure down the slope with Marshall driving wide after 78 minutes and the Yeltz rearguard cleared a dangerous goalmouth scramble seconds before the final whistle.

Mangotsfield United: Humphries; Purnell, Parrinello, Baker (Billing 88), Colbourne, Marshall, Page, Bater (c), Knighton (O’Connor 67), Groves, Griffiths (Seavill 67). Unused Subs:None.
Halesowen Town: Evans; Lescott, Caines, Smith, Kelly, Bruce, Nisbett (Hinds 70), Saunders (c) (Mason 81), Jackson, Arshad, Chilton. Unused Subs: Coward, Gueyes, Roofe.

Referee: B. Durie (Tewkesbury)

Attendance: 197

Booked: Bruce (40), Jackson (55), Page (55)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack