We have 25 guests online
24 Sept 2011 SLSW Wimborne Town 5-4 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South and West – Saturday, 24th September 2011

Wimborne Town 5 Halesowen Town 4

Halesowen squandered a seemingly unassailable four-goal lead after lowly Wimborne staged an incredible fightback to score five late second half goals in the first meeting between the fellow Vase winners.

Wimborne Town 5-4 Halesowen Town

The Yeltz had dominated the majority of the game and romped into a 4-0 lead within an hour to put the Magpies on course for their fifth consecutive league defeat. Four individual players grabbed a brace each in the nine-goal contest with Halesowen’s Michael McGrath netting both his goals from free-kicks.

To bolster their fortunes Wimborne welcomed back legendary 44 year old fireman Steve ‘Taffy’ Richardson – a member of their 1992 FA Vase winning team – and his enthusiasm certainly extinguished Halesowen’s early fire. The hosts had not scored in over 7 hours of trying in their long league losing streak but made amends to take all three points in a crazy capitulation in the final 25 minutes.

After the long journey to Dorset, the visitors made a perfect start by racing into a two-goal lead in the opening minutes. McGRATH caught the home defence napping with his quickly taken free-kick from the edge of the area looping home inside the right-hand post in the 2nd minute after Richardson was penalised. Naveed ARSHAD then powered home a near range header past goalkeeper Jason Harvell from a right wing cross to make it 2-0 after just 8 minutes.

Later in the first half Wimborne’s other new signing Tom Jeffes volleyed over the bar from a left-wing cross and Brendan Kelly sent in a long range effort for Halesowen. After the interval Gary Funnell struck just wide and Mark Jamison’s diving header fell past the post for the hosts.

But McGRATH increased Halesowen’s lead by striking home another direct free-kick beyond goalkeeper Harvell in the 53rd minute and the game appeared to be all over when Justin NISBETT cut in from the right to convert a low shot from a narrow angle to make it 4-0 after 59 minutes.

George WEBB pulled back what everyone thought was a mere consolation goal for the Magpies by pouncing on a loose ball in the 64th minute but the real turning point then arrived with the dismissal of Halesowen’s Anthony Bruce for fouling Webb in his second bookable offence.

Ten man Yeltz failed to shut up shop and collapsed catastrophically to throw away the points in the final stages. Matt KEMBLE made it 4-2 in the 70th minute with a 20 yard shot from Webb’s lay off and Halesowen’s jitters worsened when Wimborne’s WEBB gave home hope by guiding home a third goal after a neat one-two with Jeffes in the 77th minute. With the Yeltz unable to stop the approaching steam train onslaught, goalkeeper Paul Evans made a spectacular save to deny Alex Parsons.

KEMBLE added his second to equalise at 4-4 with two minutes remaining when Halesowen again failed to clear a loose ball after substitute Max Cream beat several challenges to cross. Amazingly, captain Scott ARNOLD swivelled to grab Wimborne’s winner deep into stoppage time with his overhead kick sending shell-shocked Halesowen home empty-handed.

Wimborne Town: Harvell; Arnold (c), Jordan (Cream 84), Jamison, Strugnell, Richardson, Funnell, Webb, Jeffes, Lynch (Kemble 50), Parsons (Cullen 90+2). Unused Subs: Roast, Ackerman.

Halesowen Town: Evans; Mason, Kelly, Roofe, Smith, McGrath, Bruce, Saunders (c), Arshad (Hinds), Nisbett (Folkes), Chilton. Unused Subs: Gueyes, Westwood.

Attendance: 254

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack