We have 105 guests online
25 Oct 2011 BSC1R Halesowen Town 3-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers PDF Print E-mail

Birmingham Senior Cup 1st Round – Tuesday, 25th October 2011

Halesowen Town 3 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1

Three goals in an eight minute spell late in the second half guided Halesowen into the second round of the Birmingham Senior Cup. Jon Aldridge put Halesowen ahead with a debut goal and was instrumental in Halesowen’s third goal to set up a tie at either Rushall or Atherstone. Wolves - managed by reserve tem manager Steve Weaver - included first team experienced Ashley Hemmings and John Gorman, owner of seven international caps for Northern Ireland , in their line-up.

After a tentative start there was little goalmouth action in the first period with just one decent chance for each side in the torrential rain. In the 13th minute Halesowen’s Naveed Arshad latched onto a through ball from midfield but goalkeeper Aaron McCarey made a fine save to turn the ball away for a corner. Wolves waited until the 29th minute before troubling Halesowen when Gorman played a delicate ball into the danger area but home goalkeeper Paul Evans proved alert enough to snatch the ball away from Jake Cassidy.

Before the interval Gavin Saunders found Arshad but his pass across the penalty area just failed to put Justin Nisbett free and Arshad then almost met Lee Chilton’s pass but was thwarted by goalkeeper McCarey.

Aldridge was handed his debut as a half time substitute for Nisbett and bizarrely Yeltz owner Steve Lynch also made an unlikely appearance to run the line for the final forty minutes as a substitute for the injured assistant referee Simon Lane.

But it was Wolves who enjoyed the better of play early in the second period with influential Anthony Forde dragging a 56th minute shot wide before going closer still two minutes later when his shot from the edge of the penalty area struck the angle of the far post and crossbar. Forde then saw a further two free-kicks cleared before the Yeltz stepped up a gear to kill the game with three quick-fire goals.

ALDRIDGE marked his impressive debut to put Halesowen ahead in the 67th minute by meeting a forward ball from Anthony Bruce and smashing home a fine finish into the roof of the net on the half-volley from 18 yards. Five minutes later captain Saunders floated over a free-kick for Mark SMITH to rise unchallenged and guide his free header past McCarey. Halesowen made it a convincing 3-0 in the 75th minute when Aldridge’s fierce drive was beaten away by McCarey, but Arshad calmly laid off the rebound for CHILTON to stroke the ball into the corner of the net.

In the final minutes Wolves substitute Liam McAlinden fired a low drive at Evans and Forde’s low drive struck the base of the post as the shocked visitors tried to respond. Cassidy then set up McAlinden in the 87th minute, only for Evans to make another fine save. However, the visitors were finally rewarded with an 88th minute consolation goal when Zeli ISMAIL’s shot took a strong deflection to finally beat Evans.

Halesowen Town: Evans; Mason, Caines, Folkes, Smith, McGrath, Bruce, Saunders (c), Arshad, Nisbett (Aldridge 45), Chilton. Unused Subs: Godwin, Gueyes, Hinds, Coward.

Wolves: McCarey; Shepherd (Bashford 81), Reckord (c), Price, Ihiekwe, Ebanks-Landell, Ismail, Forde, Cassidy, Hemmings, Gorman (McAlinden 60). Unused Subs: Flatt, Whittall

Referee: N. Hobbis (Birmingham)

Attendance: 343

‘Brew and View’ Halesowen Town Match of the Match (selected by Paul Guest): Mark Smith


Man of The Match - Wolverhampton Wanderers - Mark Smith

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack