We have 86 guests online
29 Oct 2011 SLSW Halesowen Town 1-2 Sholing PDF Print E-mail

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South and West – Saturday, 29th October 2011

Halesowen Town 1 Sholing 2

Sholing shot down Halesowen with a winner in the third minute of injury time after two late penalties left the game heading for a deserved draw.  Halesowen named an unchanged starting eleven from the midweek win over Wolves against yet another team making their first ever visit to the Grove. But both defences dominated for long spells - demonstrating their good league records - with an often scrappy game seemingly headed for inevitable stalemate until the game came to life with three late goals.

South-coast Sholing had the better of play early and late in the first half. Iain Seabrook struck a 5th minute free-kick straight at home goalkeeper Paul Evans and saw another effort deflected for a corner a minute later. Jack McCarthy’s overhead kick then clipped the top of the Halesowen bar.

When Halesowen finally settled, lively Justin Nisbett broke down the right after 20 minutes but his low cross was cleared off Lee Chilton’s toe by Mike Carter. Michael McGrath’s 20-yard free-kick was then gathered by goalkeeper Lee Webber and Carter headed another Nisbett cross over his own bar for a corner. Gavin Saunders then played a neat interchange before striking a low drive against the base of the Sholing post after 25 minutes.

After half an hour Tyronne Bowers chipped into the home area but McCarthy lobbed a good chance just wide. McCarthy then turned on the penalty spot to shoot just wide and Sholing keeper Webber collected a fierce snapshot from Chilton at the second attempt. Just before the interval Evans made a good blocking save with his legs at the base of the post from Lee Wort’s firm drive.

Goalscoring chances proved even fewer and further between at the start of the second period although the visitors had a 54th minute let off when Webber grabbed Chilton’s cross at the second attempt with Naveed Arshad about to pounce. The Yeltz then also escaped in the 56th minute when Wort intercepted a weak back header from Peter Folkes but Evans rescued with a fine reflex save.

Although Halesowen gradually pushed Sholing back, the game appeared to be drifting towards deadlock after Webber raced out to collect from Nisbett bearing down on goal following his neat 72nd minute flick.

The game finished with a flourish following three late goals and two penalties. Mark Smith tripped Marvin McLean allowing WORT to stroke home an 84th minute penalty to put Sholing ahead. Halesowen then received a lifeline with a penalty of their own when Anthony Bruce was brought down by Sholing captain Kevin Gibbens and CHILTON stepped up to smash home the equaliser from the penalty spot in the 88th minute.

But Halesowen then threw away the points as the Boatmen sailed home with a 93rd minute winner after McGrath lost the ball in the Sholing half. A long ball forward caught out the home defence to put Wort clear on goal and although Evans saved well, the defence failed to clear allowing BOWERS to drive the loose ball low into the home net.

Halesowen Town: Evans; S. Mason, Caines, Folkes, Smith, McGrath, Bruce, Saunders (c) (Aldridge 62), Arshad (Jackson 62), Nisbett, Chilton. Unused Subs: Loney, Godwin, Westwood.

Sholing: Webber; Carter, Diaper, Marden, Gibbens (c), Seabrook (Barry Mason 53), McLean (Speechley-Price 86), Byron Mason, Wort, McCarthy ( Austin 65), Bowers. Unused Subs: Brewster, Hookway.

Referee: A. Tonks (Wellingborough)

Attendance: 247

Booked: Marden (68), McGrath (80), Gibbens (88), Bowers (90)

‘Brew and View’ Halesowen Town Match of the Match (selected by David Atkinson): Anthony Bruce


Man of the Match - Sholing - Anthony Bruce

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack