We have 89 guests online
05 Nov 2011 SLSW Taunton Town 3-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South and West – Saturday, 5th November 2011

Taunton Town 3 Halesowen Town 1

Halesowen’s difficult run of form extended to four defeats in five outings with defensive lapses proving costly at the start of each half.  Prior to kick-off, a sombre one minute silence was observed following the nearby fatal motorway pile-up the previous evening.

Arshad Scores A Free-Kick to make it 1-1

Mark Smith and Michael McGrath were left on the bench in favour of Brendan Kelly and Nathan Jackson, in Halesowen’s first visit to Wordsworth Road – now dealing with the aftermath of a devastating clubhouse fire - since 2004. As the game got underway the changes couldn’t prevent the hosts forcing two early corners through efforts from Rodney Marsh and Darren Rice. Taunton ’s youngsters then took an early lead after usually reliable goalkeeper Paul Evans dropped Luke Cole’s 6th minute corner allowing Chris McGRATH to slam home into the roof of the net. Halesowen’s first opportunity came in the 10th minute when Lee Chilton struck Kelly’s deep cross wide and Jackson ’s shot was saved by Chris Astley a minute later.

James Blake’s 16th minute effort was blocked with Evans stranded off his line collecting a short back pass from Folkes and two minutes later Blake’s lob fell inches wide of Halesowen’s empty goal after Evans was forced to race out of goal again. Evans then failed to gather Jon Vance’s run-of-the-mill deep free-kick to concede a 27th minute corner.

The Yeltz improved before the interval and Chilton’s fierce drive was beaten away for a corner by Astley after half an hour. Within minutes, Jackson volleyed over the bar and Astley collected Justin Nisbett’s low drive. Home full back Cole then made a tremendous interception to prevent Chilton latching onto Naveed Arshad’s superb defence splitting pass.

Halesowen also made a poor start to the second period and fell two goals behind to the Peacocks in the 48th minute when VANCE beat Scott Mason to a through ball and slotted past Evans. After Michael McGrath replaced Jackson , Folkes spurned a good chance by ballooning over the bar with the home defence failing to clear Chilton’s 55th minute corner. Arshad then nodded a cross from Nathaniel Caines over the bar.

ARSHAD pulled a goal back for Halesowen by curling a delightful direct free-kick past the badly positioned defensive wall into the top corner in the 65th minute, much to the ire of furious goalkeeper Astley, who was left standing.

But Arshad blotted his copybook by being dismissed with a straight red card just seven minutes later after Phil Veal went down in an off-the-ball incident. Despite some observers reporting an accidental collision, the referee’s assistant had no doubt in his mind in his advice to the referee.

Ten-man Halesowen fell further behind at 3-1 in the 85th minute when a long clearance from goalkeeper Astley found Ross MacNAB free to tuck a third home goal beyond Evans and Inflict Halesowen’s worst defeat of the season.

Taunton Town: Astley; P. Veal, Cole (Short 72), C. McGrath, Legg, Vance, Ingram, Blake (Redrup 78), MacNab, Marsh (Hopkins 75), Rice. Unused Subs: Ellis, C. Veal.

Halesowen Town: Evans; Mason, Caines, Folkes, Kelly, Bruce, Nisbett, Saunders (c), Jackson (M. McGrath 53), Arshad, Chilton. Unused Subs: Smith, Westwood, Loney, Gueyes.

Referee: M. Veater (Midsomer Norton)

Attendance: 193

Booked: Bruce (36)

Sent Off: Arshad (72)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack