We have 36 guests online
19 Nov 2011 SLSW Gosport Borough 2-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South and West – Saturday, 19th November 2011
Gosport Borough 2 Halesowen Town 1
Halesowen’s improved performance failed to bring home any rewards after Gosport edged to victory with a late penalty in a thoroughly absorbing contest. Boro’ grabbed an early lead in the first ever meeting between the clubs when Liam SEWELL slotted past goalkeeper Paul Evans from close range after latching onto the rebound from James Ford’s blocked shot with just four minutes gone.
However, Halesowen soon restored parity after being awarded a 12th minute penalty when Lee Molyneaux brought down new recruit Nathan Jones and the responsibility of the spot kick fell to Lee CHILTON to make no mistake with his second penalty of the week.
Much travelled veteran Steve Claridge was absent from the Gosport line-up through injury and the home side’s injury worries worsened when Sewell limped off to be replaced by Callum Laycock, currently the top scorer for the reserve team. The Yeltz also had their fair share of injury worries with Michael McGrath struck below the belt by a ricochet off Laycock, leaving him doubled up in agony and in need of treatment.
Gosport threatened again in the 28th minute when Molyneaux’s downward header forced Evans into a smart save. Chilton’s deflected shot then won a Halesowen corner and from the set-piece Gavin Saunders’ header brought a smart save from home goalkeeper Nathan Ashmore as the game swung from end to end towards the end of a lively first half.
Halesowen continued to look dangerous going forwards and began the second half quickly with some slick football putting Boro’ on the back foot. But the injury curse struck again with Nathan Jones requiring lengthy treatment in the Gosport penalty area. Justin Nisbett looked lively for the Yeltz and Jones forced another good save from Ashmore as the visitors created a series of half chances. As Gosport then began to exert pressure, Evans saved at full stretch from substitute Laycock. 
But in-form Gosport secured all three points when top scorer Justin BENNETT tucked home an 80th minute penalty after star-man Nathan Kirby was brought down in the area by Smith. For the fifth time this season, Halesowen ended the game with ten men when Peter Folkes was sent off with five minutes remaining for receiving his second yellow card. After an initial foul on Kirby, Folkes booted the ball away and then lost his cool with the referee as the visitors left Privett Park empty-handed.
Gosport Borough: Ashmore; Jones, Langworthy, Cook, Molyneaux, Ford, Way, Kirby, Sewell (Laycock 17), Bennett, Wooden. Unused Subs: Heard, Preece, Poate, Hards
Halesowen Town: Evans; Smith, Caines, Folkes, Kelly, McGrath, Westwood (Bruce 46), Saunders (c), Jones, Nisbett, Chilton. Unused Subs: Gueyes, Drake, Mason.
Referee: C. Wade ( Bournemouth)
Attendance: 254

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack