We have 40 guests online
26 Nov 2011 SLSW Halesowen Town 0-0 Poole Town PDF Print E-mail

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South and West – Saturday, 26th November 2011

Halesowen Town 0 Poole Town 0

Goalkeeper Paul Evans made a series of superb saves, including a penalty, to keep a clean sheet and earn Halesowen a point in a stalemate against mid-table Poole at the gusty Grove.


Halesowen’s best chance of the first half fell after only five minutes when Justin Nisbett’s run and cross down the left exposed Poole’s defence but Anthony Bruce dragged his shot wide with two Yeltz players free in the penalty area. Nisbett then did well to chase down the ball in the 10th minute but neither he nor Bruce could find the target as the visiting defence hacked clear. Poole ’s first attempt came through a direct 20 yard free-kick from Dan Cann in the 12th minute but Evans was well positioned to collect easily.

Heroic Evans kept the scores level with a top class double penalty save from Micky Hubbard in the 28th minute after Hubbard was brought down by Brendan Kelly. Evans dived to his left to keep out the spot-kick and then recovered to punch the rebound clear. Just a minute later, in-form Evans grabbed a header from Carl Preston.

Lee Chilton’s 35th minute shout for a penalty was turned down and from the corner Gavin Saunders struck just wide on the half-volley. Seconds before the break Nisbett fired over the bar after fellow striker Nathan Jones beat goalkeeper Nick Hutchings to the ball.

Three minutes into the second half Jones delivered a neat flick over the top of the Poole defence but Chilton volleyed wide. The Dolphins then enjoyed a good spell with Preston hitting over the bar under pressure from James Loney in the 49th minute. Shortly afterwards, Evans collected Hubbard’s long drive and Cann headed over the bar from close range.

Evans excelled again to produce a superb 56th minute reflex save after Preston ’s volley was deflected towards the top corner by Kane Daysh. Halesowen created just a few further half chances although a 59th minute effort from Jones was saved low down and Nisbett flashed wide two minutes later. Chilton then did well to hold off two defenders before turning to shoot at Hutchings from the edge of the area with fifteen minutes remaining.

Evans kept the score-sheet blank with two further splendid saves in the final ten minutes. The agile goalkeeper scooped the ball out from Michael Walker’s 80th minute header and denied last man Preston by saving low down after full-back Loney was dispossessed in the 87th minute. In the 89th minute Nisbett had a chance to snatch victory but goalkeeper Hutchings claimed the ball in a one-on-one. Poole captain Walker also had two last-gasp chances but failed to find a golden touch at the far post and headed another chance wide. But the game ultimately ended goal-less due to the heroics of Evans with neither team able to find the necessary cutting edge in the windy conditions.

Halesowen Town: Paul Evans; James Loney, Nathaniel Caines, Peter Folkes, Brendan Kelly, Michael McGrath, Anthony Bruce, Gavin Saunders (c), Nathan Jones, Justin Nisbett, Lee Chilton. Unused Subs: Scott Mason, Andrew Westwood, Jean-Michel Gueyes, Kevin Borrey.

Poole Town: Nick Hutchings; Sam Clarke, William Spetch, Kane Daysh, Michael Walker (c), Glenn Howes, Kevin Gill (Claudio Herbert 64), Micky Hubbard, Tom Jeffes (Scott Joyce 68), Carl Preston, Dan Cann (Steve Smith 88). Unused Subs: Steve Richardson, Marvin Brookes.

Referee: Scott Postin (Coventry)

Attendance: 253

Booked: Loney (14), McGrath (59), Jeffes (65), Bruce (78)

‘Brew and View’ Halesowen Town Match of the Match (selected by David Johnson): Paul Evans

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack