We have 87 guests online
29 Nov 2011 BSC2R Rushall Olympic 2-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Birmingham Senior Cup 2nd Round – Tuesday, 29th November 2011
Rushall Olympic 2 Halesowen Town 2 (AET) - Rushall won 4-1 on penalties
Halesowen slipped out of the Birmingham Senior Cup at Rushall following extra time and penalties and miss out on a quarter final home fixture against Solihull Moors. The defeat also ends all involvement with cup competition football for the Yeltz this season. The evening started promisingly with Halesowen establishing a two goal lead before half-time. In a lively start, Justin Nisbett played a clever ball out to Lee Chilton on the left of the penalty area in the 2nd minute. But Halesowen’s Paul Evans was the first goalkeeper in action with a low save when nippy home striker Ahmed Obeng skipped several challenges to fire towards the bottom corner.
The Yeltz took a 14th minute lead when Nathan Jones played the ball forward and Lee CHILTON struck a sweet dipping half volley into the top of the net from the edge of the penalty area. In-form Evans repeated his earlier save at the base of his post after Obeng latched onto a quickly taken free-kick in the 15th minute and the hosts then forced three corners in rapid succession with Marco Adaggio flashing an effort wide.
For Halesowen, Nisbett’s 32nd minute chip was kept out from Chilton’s corner. A period of chaos followed in the home penalty area when goalkeeper Lewis Fenney dropped a deep 35th minute free-kick and Chilton fired the ball along goal from a wide angle but the defence hacked clear and Fenney saved at the foot of the post.
NISBETT doubled Halesowen’s lead in the 38th minute through a simple tap-in after Nathan Jones’ found himself free and his shot was parried by Fenney. Seconds before half-time, Evans did well to punch clear Alex Melbourne’s corner and then clung on as the Rushall forwards played the ball back into the danger area.
The visitors seemed to be in control of the game at 2-0 early in the second period with Rushall’s frustration growing as efforts from Jones and Anthony Westwood earned corners and Nisbett’s 52nd minute shot was collected by Fenney at the second attempt. Evans continued to keep the hosts at bay with a fine blocking save from Obeng after an hour and former Yeltz striker Matt Lewis flicked his header wide from the resulting corner. Sean Platt and substitute Alan Wilkes also nodded over the Halesowen bar in the 70th minute.
But two late Rushall goals levelled the score-line to send the tie into extra-time. OBENG collected a 72nd minute free-kick, awarded for Brendan Kelly’s foul, and turned in the box before planting the ball into the bottom of the net. Substitute WILKES then stuck a foot out in front of goal to turn the ball home from a Lewis cross in the 83rd minute to equalise at 2-2.
At the start of the first period of extra time Anthony Bruce drove over the bar and Chilton struck an effort at Fenney. Rushall then suffered a heart-stopping moment when Nisbett challenged and won the ball from Fenney outside his area in the 102nd minute, but the ball ricocheted to roll agonisingly wide. Two minutes later the Pics almost found a winner but Wilkes could only strike the crossbar from close range after meeting Melbourne ’s cross. Early in the second period of extra time Nisbett broke free but couldn’t beat goalkeeper Fenney.
The Pics registered a comfortable 4-1 victory in the deciding penalty shoot-out. After taking the first penalty, Mitchell Tolley, Melbourne , Platt and Obeng all successfully converted for Rushall with Evans only able to find a fingertip touch to the third penalty from Platt. Bruce’s first penalty for Halesowen was saved by Fenney and although Kelly struck the net with the second, Nathaniel Caines’ third effort for the visitors was also kept out by Fenney.
Rushall Olympic: Fenney; Tolley, Spittle (c), Skedgel, Platt, Forde (Blythe 61), Dacres (Fitzpatrick 117), Melbourne, Adaggio (Wilkes 61), Obeng, Lewis. Unused Subs: Keenan, Bragoli.
Halesowen Town: Evans; Loney (Borrey 65), Caines, Folkes, Kelly (c), McGrath, Westwood, Bruce, Jones (Gueyes 61), Nisbett, Chilton. Unused Subs: Smith, Saunders.
Referee: M. Wilkes
Attendance: 94
Booked: Westwood (11), Spittle (59), Kelly (71), Lewis (75), Bruce (78)


Joomla Templates by Joomlashack