We have 96 guests online
26 Dec 2011 SLSW Halesowen Town 4-1 Stourport Swifts PDF Print E-mail

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South and West – Monday, 26th December 2011

Halesowen Town 4 Stourport Swifts 1

Halesowen eased to a comfortable Boxing Day victory over basement side and nearest neighbours Stourport Swifts.  The start of game was marked by a minute’s silence in remembrance of Yeltzman Steve Clayton who passed away on December 11th at just 41 years of age.

Man of the Match - Stourport Swifts - Lee Chilton

Gareth Davies made his return to the club but the home defence made a shaky start when Davies sliced the ball straight to Kevin Vogeli after just 30 seconds, but goalkeeper Paul Evans made a good blocking save against his former club. Vogeli then took advantage of further indecision to fire over the home bar in the 2nd minute.

As Halesowen settled, Lee Chilton burst down the left and squared the ball for Mark Smith to poke just wide from 15 yards in the 13th minute. Naveed ARSHAD then put the Yeltz ahead in the 18th minute when he collected a high, hanging cross from Justin Nisbett and forced the ball past goalkeeper Hayden Whitcombe. With Halesowen taking control, Gavin Saunders played a clever chip to set Nisbett free to screw just wide in the 32nd minute.

Halesowen doubled the lead after 35 minutes when Chilton made a speedy run down the left and his cross-shot was turned into his own net by former Yeltz centre-back Dennis PEARCE.

Stourport’s efforts on goal proved rare although a clearance from home centre-half Mark Smith off Vogeli fell wide before the interval and Thomas Boyle hit a long range low raking drive just past the fingertips of half-time goalkeeping substitute Simon Flower early in the second period.

ARSHAD notched his second goal in simple fashion to make it 3-0 after 59 minutes by tapping home Nisbett’s cross within the six yard box. A delightful fourth goal followed swiftly for Halesowen just ninety seconds later in the 61st minute when CHILTON side-stepped several defenders and waited to pick his spot with a delicate chip in a fine individual strike.

Flower did just enough to deny Vogeli after 66 minutes before Stourport registered an 80th minute consolation goal through Louis BRIDGES from the penalty spot when Davies was harshly penalised for handball after the ball was blasted against him from point-blank range. In the final minutes, livewire Halesowen man-of-the-match Chilton went close again by firing high in the 85th minute and his 87th minute shot towards the top corner was brilliantly turned away by goalkeeper Whitcombe for a corner.

Halesowen Town: Evans (Flower 46); Westwood, Caines, Davies, Smith, McGrath, Nisbett (Gueyes 74), Saunders (c) (Jackson 62), Jones, Arshad, Chilton. Unused Subs: Borrey, Wood.

Stourport Swifts: Whitcombe; Benbow (c), Ashton (Mussell 57), Pearce (Duggan 62), Willets, Emery, Evans, Dinsley (Taylor 73), Vogeli, Bridges, Boyle. Unused Subs: Pitt, Triana.

Referee: N. Pratt (Great Barr)

Attendance: 348

‘Brew and View’ Halesowen Town Match of the Match (selected by Chris Basterfield): Lee Chilton

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack