We have 59 guests online
02 Jan 2012 SLSW Cinderford Town 1-0 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South and West – Monday, 2nd January 2012

Cinderford Town 1 Halesowen Town 0

Halesowen suffered a second 1-0 defeat within three days as Cinderford completed a double at The Causeway in a game littered with seven yellow and two red cards.

With the trio of leading goalscorers Justin Nisbett, Naveed Arshad and Lee Chilton all absent, Halesowen faced an uphill task and also named just three youngsters on the bench. But the weakened Yeltz line-up edged the first half play with neat passing football despite failing to find a cutting edge. Mark Smith went close with a 3rd minute header from Brendan Kelly’s free-kick and Anthony Bruce struck just wide from the edge of the penalty area after 11 minutes. Home goalkeeper Alex Harris then flapped at Halesowen’s first corner in the 19th minute but his defence cleared the danger.

Cinderford’s first chance arrived in the 25th minute when Stephen Jackson produced a fingertip save from Nick McCootie’s low shot and Mark Smith tidied up the loose ball. In even exchanges before the interval, Nathan Jones crossed into space in the home area after 29 minutes allowing Ashley Malcolm to clear and visiting goalkeeper Stephen Jackson then gathered a cross at the second attempt in front of McCootie. Seconds before the interval, Mike Whittington fired over the Halesowen bar and James Loney made a good clearance from Josh Egan’s cross.

Jean-Michel Gueyes replaced injured Nathaniel Caines at half-time and Michael McGrath went close early in the second half after playing a neat one-two before advancing into the Cinderford penalty area to drive inches wide of the far post. McGrath’s 52nd minute corner was then palmed away from under his cross bar by goalkeeper Harris.

As the Foresters briefly upped their game, a well worked 57th minute free-kick from Dean Lee and Egan was cleared. The hosts then crafted their solitary 58th minute winning goal as McCootie worked free down the right and squared the ball across the penalty area for Andy LEWIS to side-foot home. After 61 minutes, Loney defended well again by clearing off Whittington’s toe from Egan’s cross.

Both teams ended the game with ten men and Cinderford’s Dan Harrison was first to be dismissed for his second booking after 68 minutes. However, the Yeltz were unable to take advantage and failed to pose any threat against the ten man hosts, although captain Gavin Saunders shot over the bar from long range in the 75th minute. Halesowen’s Bruce was then also given his marching orders in the 81st minute for his second bookable offence after fouling Nick Hancock. There was little further action although Nathan Jackson lobbed over the home bar and in the third minute of stoppage time Matt Smith cleared a dangerous cross from Jones.

Cinderford Town: Harris; Malcolm, Matt Smith, Harrison, G. Lewis, Hancock, Egan (Barnes 78), A. Lewis, McCootie, Whittington (Sommers 70), Lee. Unused Subs: Archer, Andrews, John.

Halesowen Town: S. Jackson; Loney, Caines (Gueyes 46), Kelly, Mark Smith, Bruce, Wood, Saunders (c), Jones, N. Jackson , McGrath. Unused Subs: Drake, Flower.

Referee: D. Ricketts (Bristol)

Attendance: 163

Booked: Egan (16), Harrison (26), Bruce (34), Whittington (65), N. Jackson (69), Loney (90), McGrath (90)

Sent Off: Harrison (68), Bruce (81)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack