We have 44 guests online
18 Feb 2012 SLSW Thatcham Town 0-0 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South and West – Saturday, 18th February 2012

Thatcham Town 0 Halesowen Town 0

Halesowen notched their first point of 2012 with a stalemate on the first ever visit to out-of form Thatcham’s Waterside Park.

The visitors continued to be depleted by suspensions after the long lay-off due to severe weather but an early 2nd minute deflected shot from Neil Barnfield was collected by goalkeeper Paul Strudley. The Kingfishers then forced the first corner of the game in the 5th minute and Carl Self screwed a shot wide in the 11th minute.

Fluent play proved difficult on the sticky playing surface but Self’s 26th minute overhead kick forced Yeltz goalkeeper Paul Evans to back pedal and produce the best save of the game by tipping the ball over his crossbar. Marcus Jackson then marked his Halesowen debut when his dangerous cross was saved by home goalkeeper Paul Strudley two minutes later. Just before the interval Nathan Jones glanced a header wide from a Nathaniel Caines cross.

Otherwise the first half proved unsurprisingly uneventful with tentative Thatcham without a win in ten league games and Halesowen nursing a run of six straight defeats.

Good chances remained at a premium in the second half, although Halesowen’s Ben Haseley shot at Strudley from the edge of the penalty area in the 51st minute and Paul Taplin screwed a cross wide for the hosts following a promising build up on the hour. Visiting goalkeeper Evans then gathered long range efforts low down from Self and James Clark.

Midway through the second half the Yeltz began to look more likely to snatch a winner and defender Mark Smith found space in the Thatcham penalty area but volleyed just wide in the 72nd minute. Two minutes later Strudley saved from Brendan Kelly at close range after a flick on by substitute Naveed Arshad.

However, good defending in the dying minutes helped Halesowen to keep a clean sheet as Evans saved from Mark James in front of goal in the 82nd minute and a further effort from Mark Hughes was scrambled clear. In the final minute Nathan Jackson cleared off the line from Sam Flegg to finally earn the Yeltz a long awaited point.

Thatcham Town: Strudley; Hughes, Flegg, James, Thomas (c), Melledrew (Kingston 80), Clark, Pegg, Davies, Self, Taplin (Johnson 59). Unused Subs: Bratt, Sadler.

Halesowen Town: Evans; Loney, Kelly (c), Huckfield, Smith, Barnfield, M. Jackson, N. Jackson (Folkes 90), Jones (Arshad 59), Haseley, Caines (Cotterill 76). Unused Sub: Flower.

Referee: J. Farries

Attendance: 115

Booked: Huckfield (57)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack