We have 41 guests online
25 Feb 2012 SLSW Halesowen Town 3-0 Wimborne Town PDF Print E-mail

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South and West – Saturday, 25th February 2012

Halesowen Town 3 Wimborne Town 0

Two more excellent goals from in-form striker Ben Haseley maintained Halesowen’s revival and made it seven points from the last three games with a third consecutive clean sheet.

Ben Haseley Celebrates

Wimborne were almost caught cold straight from the kick off when Haseley did well to set up Nathaniel Caines in front of goal after just 45 seconds, but goalkeeper Jason Harvell made a good blocking to keep out his low drive. Richard Huckfield then nodded just wide from Marcus Jackson’s 6th minute cross.

For the Dorset visitors, Tom Jeffes netted in the 8th minute after working free of Mark Smith but his effort was ruled out for handling the ball and George Webb fired a low drive wide four minutes later. As the series of half chances continued, Halesowen’s Nathan Jackson blasted high in the 14th minute and Micky Hubbard ballooned over the bar for the Magpies after 17 minutes.

Defender SMITH grabbed his second goal of the week to hand Halesowen a 20th minute lead by tapping a rebound high into the net after Harvell spilled Brendan Kelly’s direct 20-yard free-kick. Harvell then made a fine fingertip save to keep out Haseley’s 24th minute drive after the dangerous striker controlled a long ball. Haseley then played a lovely ball out to Nathan Jones but his effort was blocked on the goal-line with Haseley ready to pounce.

Mark Smith Scores

HASELEY doubled Halesowen’s lead with a superb 36th minute strike after latching onto a long ball and sweeping home with just two clever touches. With the first touch he cut inside defender Nathan Peprah-Annan and then stabbed past goalkeeper Harvell with his second touch.

Referee Scott Postin awarded the Magpies a penalty just a minute before half-time when Kelly brought down Tom Hill just inside the right-hand side of the penalty area with little obvious danger. But Webb squandered the golden chance to put Wimborne back in contention by hitting the penalty spot kick against the outside of the post. Halesowen goalkeeper Simon Flower then did well to hold onto Jamie Davidson’s fierce 25-yard free-kick seconds before the interval.

The second half proved comfortable for Halesowen with no repeat of the crazy capitulation from earlier in the season when the Yeltz lost a four-goal lead against the second from bottom visitors. Five minutes into the second period Haseley burst clear to send the ball across the face of goal.

HASELEY made it 3-0 with his fifth goal in six games after 60 minutes when he held off Paul Roast’s challenge before lobbing over stranded goalkeeper Harvell from the edge of the area.

The Yeltz Celebrate

With Halesowen in control, Marcus Jackson struck just wide and Neil Barnfield headed at Harvell. Frustrated Wimborne collected three yellow cards and the Yeltz could easily have added to their tally late on. Substitute Naveed Arshad scooped Marcus Jackson’s 69th minute corner over the bar and Harvell saved Kelly’s long range free-kick three minutes later. With ten minutes remaining Arshad lofted another good chance over the bar from just eight yards out.

Halesowen Town: Flower; Smith, Kelly (c), Folkes, Huckfield, Barnfield, M. Jackson, N. Jackson (Saunders 59), Jones (Arshad 62), Haseley, Caines (Cotterill 41). Unused Subs: McGrath, Fulloway.

Wimborne Town: Harvell; Arnold (c), Cole, Roast, Peprah-Annan, Hill (Taafe 72), Webb (Jamal 62), Hubbard, Kemble (Cook 62), Jeffes, Davidson. Unused Subs: Magookin, Ackerman.

Referee: S. Postin (Coventry) 

Attendance: 202

Booked: Smith (39), N. Jackson (48), Arnold (61), Roast (71), Davidson (75)

‘Brew and View’ Halesowen Town Match of the Match (selected by Ian Russell): Ben Haseley


Man of the Match - Ben Haseley

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack