We have 35 guests online
03 Mar 2012 SLSW Halesowen Town 1-1 Bishops Cleeve PDF Print E-mail

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South and West – Saturday, 3rd March 2012
Halesowen Town 1 Bishop’s Cleeve 1
Halesowen extended their unbeaten run to four games but failed to build on recent momentum after being held to a draw by mid-table Bishop’s Cleeve.  Neil Barnfield took over the captain’s armband in the short-term absence of Brendan Kelly and was awarded the Man of the Match Trophy for his efforts. Justin Nisbett was absent and appears to have chosen to depart the club.

Naveed Arshad Scores

Halesowen created very little in the first half with in-form Ben Haseley supplied with only a few meagre scraps to work with. Haseley was just unable to control the ball on a difficult playing surface when Marcus Jackson set Nathan Jackson free to cross from the right after 20 minutes. Hot-shot Haseley then made a good run into the penalty area in the 34th minute before being crowded out.
The visitors enjoyed the better of a poor first half with Carl Brown the main threat. Michael Jackson’s 8th minute corner was headed back for Lee Smith but he hit wide on the half-volley. Jake Lee was then wide of the mark after beating Peter Folkes two minutes later and Brown ballooned over the bar in the 19th minute. Home goalkeeper Simon Flower confidently collected Michael Jackson’s 36th minute deep free-kick.

Halesowen Town AttackThe visitors ended the first half strongly and Brown was unlucky to see his 39th minute low shot rebound back off the post after beating Flower from the edge of the area. But BROWN then put the Villagers ahead in the third minute of first half injury time with a near range back header just in front of Flower after Michael Jackson’s corner was headed on towards goal.
The Yeltz looked much livelier after a double half-time substitution introduced both Naveed Arshad and Michael McGrath into the action. But it took an own goal for Halesowen to draw level in the 58th minute when full-back Ryan CLARK agonisingly turned McGrath’s free-kick past his own goalkeeper James Nortei. Arshad’s 62nd minute free-kick from the edge of the area was then grabbed under the crossbar by Nortei and McGrath fired past the post in the 69th minute.
Flower saved from Lee in the 70th minute and late on Lee Davis latched onto a poor pass out of Halesowen’s defence but Flower turned the ball away for a corner.

Mark Smith Halesowen Town

Arshad had a couple of late opportunities to claim all three points for Halesowen but side-footed at goalkeeper Nortei in the 76th minute after Marcus Jackson made an excellent run to cross from the right. Arshad then burst clear with one minute remaining only for Nortei to make a blocking save.
Halesowen Town: Flower; Mark Smith, Caines, Folkes, Huckfield, Barnfield (c), Marcus Jackson, Nathan Jackson (Saunders 65), Nathan Jones (Arshad HT), Haseley, Cotterill (McGrath HT). Unused Subs: Gueyes, Fulloway.
Bishop’s Cleeve: Nortei; Crowford, Clark (Caldwell 66), Lee Smith, Avery, Pritchett, Tambling (Midwinter 75), Michael Jackson (c), Lee, Brown (Sykes 89), Davis. Unused Sub: Steve Jones.
Referee: A. Garratt (Walsall)

Attendance: 196
Booked: Lee Smith (64), Brown (83)
‘Brew and View’ Halesowen Town Match of the Match (selected by Chas Shakespeare): Neil Barnfield


Man of the Match - Neil Barnfield

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack