We have 56 guests online
14 Apr 2012 SLSW Halesowen Town 2-1 Clevedon Town PDF Print E-mail

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South and West – Saturday, 14th April 201

Halesowen Town 2 Clevedon Town 1

Halesowen mounted a second-half revival to overcome an early lead from Red Insure League Cup finalists Clevedon.

Minutes Silence in Honour of Dave Parker

With members of his family in attendance, a one minute silence was observed in remembrance of Dave Parker,who sadly passed away at the Grove on Tuesday 10th April, aged 78.  The players also wore black arm bands as a mark of respect for Dave’s dedication to ground maintenance work and his loyal support of the Yeltz.

After a lengthy early stoppage, the visitors were forced to replace central defender Steve Kingdon before Chas Hemmings saw his long range 12th minute effort collected by Paul Evans.

The Seasiders then took a 13th minute lead in simple fashion when Peter Folkes failed to deal with a ball into the penalty area allowing HEMMINGS to just about roll the ball home off goalkeeper Evans from close range. In Halesowen’s first real attack, Marcus Jackson’s 18th minute corner was clawed away by Clevedon’s goalkeeping captain Jason Mellor. Spencer Blackham stepped up from the successful youth team to make his full debut and hit weakly at Clevedon goalkeeper Jason Mellor after a neat touch from Ben Haseley in the 20th minute.

Halesowen Town Opportunity

But the visitors had the better of a generally moribund first half as Henry Muggeridge headed Charlie Rich’s corner onto the roof of the net after 29 minutes. Just before the interval Evans saved further long range attempts from both Ollie Clarke and substitute Ashley Kington.

At the start of a better second half for the Yeltz, impressive Haseley did well to cross along goal from the right but youngster Blackham was blocked in front of goal. HASELEY then took his tally of goals to ten since January and put Halesowen back in the game by stroking home a 49th minute equaliser from the penalty spot after being brought down in the area by Chris Geeson.

Clevedon responded with Jordan Walker flashing a 54th minute header just wide from substitute Ashley Kington’s free-kick and, following a double substitution from the visitors, Evans made another good save from Clarke’s 20 yard drive.

But man-of-the-match MARCUS JACKSON won the game for the Yeltz in the 77th minute by rifling home a low shot from 18 yards after Clevedon failed to clear Brendan Kelly’s cross from the left following a corner. Two minutes later Kelly blasted a direct free-kick just wide and with five minutes remaining Blackham just failed to meet another dangerous cross along goal from Marcus Jackson.

Halesowen Celebration 2-1 Up

Halesowen Town: Evans; Westwood (Drake 44), Caines, Folkes, Kelly (c), Saunders (Gueyes 79), M. Jackson, N. Jackson, Blackham, Haseley, Reid. Unused Subs: Grier, Jones, Flower.

Clevedon Town: Mellor (c); Henderson-Hudson,Rich, Thorne, Kingdon (Kington 9), Geeson, Muggeridge, Clarke, Fisher (Flurry 69), Hemmings, Walker (Moss 69). Unused Subs: Best, McKenna.

Referee: M. Jones (Penkridge) Attendance: 181

Booked: Geeson (48), M. Jackson (53), N. Jackson (64), Thorne (66)

The match was sponsored by ‘Brew and View’ and their sponsored Halesowen Town Match of the Match (selected by Steve Evans) was Marcus Jackson


Man of The Match - Marcus Jackson

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack