We have 31 guests online
21 Apr 2012 SLSW Sholing 2-3 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South and West – Saturday, 21st April 2012

Sholing 2 Halesowen Town 3

Marcus Jackson fired a superb hat-trick as Halesowen twice came from behind to claim victory on the first ever visit to Portsmouth Road, home of play-off participants Sholing.

Sholing had already booked a top five finishing place but needed further points to secure a play-off home tie and forced a 4th minute corner with Nathan Jackson heading clear. Halesowen’s defence was then found all at sea in gifting the Boatmen a 9th minute opening goal with the home side temporarily down to ten men due to Marc Diaper’s injury. A harmless long punt upfield from goalkeeper Lee Webber resulted in a misunderstanding as central defender Brendan Kelly steered a header past his own goalkeeper Paul Evans, allowing Lee WORT to tap into an empty net. Lewis Fennemore’s 12th minute header was then saved low down by Evans and Marvin McLean whipped in an 18th minute cross for Byron Mason to head over the bar.

But Halesowen soon settled and equalised in the 25th minute when Spencer Blackham’s flick found MARCUS JACKSON and he advanced and cut in from the right before drilling a low, hard shot past goalkeeper Webber. Ironically the goal was again scored by a team temporarily down to ten men - this time with Halesowen’s Ben Haseley off the pitch following a poke in the eye, resulting in his eventual replacement by Nathan Jones. For the second successive Saturday, Halesowen physio Pete Denham was forced to attend injuries to both teams, due to absence of the opposition treatment personnel.

Sholing restored the home lead in the 32nd minute when Evans pushed away a right wing shot from Barry Mason and the ball fell for Wort to square the ball across the penalty area for BYRON MASON to hook home from 10 yards.

At the start of the second period Peter Folkes hacked away a cross from Barry Mason and Fennemore crossed for McLean to slice a good chance well wide of a gaping open goal.

But the Yeltz provided a fighting finish to claim all three points with two further goals. MARCUS JACKSON tucked his second goal into the roof of the net from a kind rebound to make it 2-2 in the 64th minute after substitute Jones found Blackham in space and he narrowly failed to beat substitute goalkeeper Mike Hookway. With Halesowen continuing to press, Kelly’s 70th minute low drive was then turned away for a corner by Hookway.

But hard-working MARCUS JACKSON had the final word and completed his hat-trick by stroking home an 85th minute penalty to win the game after home captain Kevin Gibbens handled on the edge of the penalty area.

Sholing: Webber (Hookway 61); Brewster, Diaper, Carter, Gibbens (c), Bowers, Barry Mason, Fennemore (McCarthy 72), Wort, Byron Mason, McLean. Unused Subs: James, Watts, Stride.

Halesowen Town: Evans; Westwood (Drake 82), Caines, Folkes, Kelly (c), Saunders, M. Jackson, N. Jackson (Gueyes 33), Blackham, Haseley (Jones 26), Reid. Unused Subs: Fulloway, Flower.

Referee: A. Penwell (Weston-super-Mare)

Attendance: 224

Booked: M. Jackson (72)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack