We have 17 guests online
 
The Grove : Home of Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 07 June 2016 10:24
The Grove 1950's
The Grove back in 1950 is somewhat different to what it looks like nowadays.  The only part of the ground that currently remains is the shed which was constructed around the 1950's.  As you can see from the photo's below the ground was a three sided affair with a cricket square.
The wooden undercover terrace was constructed aroudn the 1930's and is where the Harry Rudge Stand is currently located.  Air raid shelters can be seen on the bottom photo.
 
The Grove 1950
 
The Grove 1950
 
The Grove 1950
 
The Grove 1950
 
The Grove 1950
 
 
The Grove 1980's
As shown below in the 1980's with it's famous slope.  You can see the extent of the slope on the Shed End of the ground.  Also shown below is the wooden side of the ground where the Harry Rudge Stand sits now.  The old changing rooms are also shown at the bottom of the picture set.
The floodlights which are shown on the photo's the club won in 1983 lasted until 2001 when a new set were installed and officially inaugurated at a friendly against Wolverhampton Wanderers.
 
The Grove 1980
 
The Grove 1980
 
The Grove 1980
 
The Grove 1980
 
The Grove 1980
 
The Grove 1980
 
The Grove 1980
 
The Grove 1980
 
The Grove 1986
Work was undertaken in 1986 to lower and level the pitch in 1986.  The problem was that the slope barred the club’s way to promotion so it had to go. The huge amount of soil that was removed in levelling the pitch was used to build a terraced bank along the eastern side of the ground and at the Stourbridge Road end. The construction of the bank and the lowering of the pitch gave the ground a more enclosed feel.
In 1987 the 420 seater Harry Rudge Stand was completed on the site of the 1930s vintage wooden cover, whilst at the same time the rest of the ground received a face lift. The stand was extended in 1998 and again in 2000.
 
The Grove 1986
 
The Grove 1986
 
The Grove 1986
  
 
 
Joomla Templates by Joomlashack